Saturday, July 11, 2009

Battenkill Rice Pudding

When I heated up some prefab stir fry at Fawn's (F's actual name) the other night, I made extra rice and vegetables to stretch it out. We ended up with just enough leftover rice to make my favorite rice pudding from allrecipes.com. I like it because you make it on a stove top, so it comes out more like the kheer rice pudding you get at the Indian buffets.

I use allrecipes a lot, by the way, and most of what I post here are altered recipes from the site. Users rate all the recipes, so you can get an idea of what you're working with before you even start. People post reviews with their ratings, where you can find a lot of suggestions for making it better than the original recipe; I often use them to yield the best results.

At Fawn's we had a houseful of Battenkill cream top milk, and Matt brought over the heavy cream left over from the previous weekend. I don't think anything apart from the milk and cream were local, but it's still a yummy recipe and a great way to use your dairy products, so I decided to post it here.


Creamy Rice Pudding from Allrecipes

1 1/2 cups cooked rice
2 cups milk, divided
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a medium saucepan, combine rice, 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Blend egg with remaining 1/2 cup milk; stir into rice mixture. Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla. Serve warm.



I whipped plain cream for the top; it didn't need any more sugar. The recipe on the original site mentions sprinkling it with nutmeg or cinnamon for a little extra "oomph." That sounds fantastic, but I had such a craving that I forgot to do it. I was in too much of a hurry to get the stuff out of the pan and into my mouth. It didn't even last till dinner the next day.

Not local today: Everything but the milk and cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment