Monday, July 27, 2009

Fresh Corn Pudding

Another item that we had an overabundance of was corn. Matt had bought some at the farm stand with the peaches; then his ex-mother-in-law passed him some more. Finally, I got some at the farmer’s market for Fawn’s sleepover, and we hadn’t used all of it.

I think a lot of people just eat corn on the cob when it comes to fresh corn, and use frozen the rest of the time. I grew up on a farm though, where we grew our own and had to do something with it, something more than just the occasional ear with your barbecue. Let me tell you – there are a lot of delicious ways to enjoy good, fresh corn off the cob.

The other day I suddenly remembered that corn pudding (the eggy sort, not the corn meal type) is best made with fresh or canned corn, because frozen floats on the surface and leaves a lot of empty eggy stuff at the base of the casserole. And here I was with a surplus of fresh corn. Joy!

I was able to find a great fresh corn recipe over at allrecipes. As I’ve mentioned before, the best thing about that site is the rating system; everything can be sorted according to the average “star” rating it receives, and the ratings generally come with brief reviews describing the user’s experience with the recipe, what they did differently, and what they’d change in the future.

This was very helpful in this case, since there were complaints of greasiness from too much butter, a shortage of corn in the recipe, and too much salt. I adjusted my attempt accordingly and got a great result – we had it as an entrĂ©e, and the casserole dish was cleaned out. I had been sure the children (and Matt, also a picky eater) would fight me on it. You learn something new every day.

I didn’t use whole wheat flour in this attempt; I’ll try it out at a later date, but I doubt I’ll ever use all whole wheat; this needs a fairly light texture.


Fresh Corn Pudding

2 Tablespoons butter
1 egg, beaten
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
ground black pepper to taste
1 cup milk
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups fresh corn

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place butter in a 9 inch square baking pan and set in oven to melt.

In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, sugar, pepper, milk and flour. When mixture is smooth, stir in corn. Remove pan from oven when butter is melted. Pour butter into corn mixture and stir well. Pour corn mixture into baking pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until set in center and golden brown on top.



Not local today: butter, salt and pepper, sugar, flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment