Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Roast Chicken with Fresh Herbs, Roast Baby Squash, and Scalloped Cauliflower

That's dinner tonight; yum.

Now that Matt's got an oven that works, we may as well use it; and I'll go back to my usual practice of filling it up (or at least cooking several items at once) to conserve energy.

Tonight I'm roasting a chicken from Brookside with a bunch of Bowman rosemary, a sprig of Kilpatrick basil, and a big fistful of Kilpatrick garlic scapes in the cavity. I just sprinkled salt, a small amount of pepper, and poultry seasoning on the outside; Matt's daughter doesn't like things too spicy, and she'll be here to eat tonight.

On the side, I'm roasting the baby squash, and I thought to make the cauliflower au gratin, but remembered halfway through it that I'm out of any cheese except ricotta and Parmesan. I ended up with a sort of hybrid dish that I hope tastes yummy. (Will update!)

Meanwhile, I'll post the makings of the roasted baby squash, which I'm more confident will turn out, here:


Roasted Baby Squash

Baby squash, in any quantity (I had about 6)
Parmesan cheese
Salt
Pepper
Cooking oil

Grease a baking pan; slice the baby squash in half lengthwise so they lay flat in the pan. Spray or drizzle oil over the top and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste; generously sprinkle with Parmesan, too.

Roast at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes; enjoy.



Romano cheese is also really excellent over roasted vegetables. It's also tasty to dice an onion or shallot, or mince some garlic to toss with them, or sprinkle with some bouillion powder if you have some and don't mind processed foods. They are good without any cheese at all, too, though I prefer the extra flavor myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment