Saturday, July 11, 2009

Sheldon Corn Chowder

Matt had himself a new stove delivered this afternoon while he was out at a carnival with our girls. As you might remember from our ricotta adventure, his oven had a heating element broken. Seems as how it'd cost "more than the old stove is worth" to replace the heating element, so a whole new one was purchased. Isn't that just the way these days? I hope the old one gets recycled.

Anyway, I'm not testing the oven out right yet, but I am using the stove top. For the first time ever, I find myself actually feeling bad about making a mess on the stove. I'm such a messy cook, but I'm usually pretty comfortable with that.

I spent some time this afternoon turning this morning's corn on the cob into this evening's chowder. Here's how I made it.



Sheldon Corn Chowder

2 Tablespoons butter
1 large shallot, diced (mine came to about 3/8 cup)
2 Tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups diced new potatoes (no scale in my kitchen anymore)
2 medium carrots, sliced (about 1 cup)
1 quart milk
2 cups corn off the cob (took me about 5 ears)
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pan, melt the butter; sautee shallots in it until soft and translucent. Stir in flour and then milk, and keep on low heat until the milk begins to heat up and thicken.

In a medium saucepan, while the milk heats, boil the carrots and potatoes till tender. Drain.

Once the milk has gotten fairly hot, add the corn to cook while the milk finishes thickening. When it seems done, add in the potatoes, carrots, salt and pepper. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment