Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Up to muffins now...

I really need to learn to like raw blueberries. I can't explain why, but I just don't; and they're coming in in such large numbers now at J's that I really wish I liked them that way. Because now, I've started baking them into everything. Everything that is full of fat and sugar and other things that are no good for you.

I'd already made a peach buckle, a black-cap buckle, and two blueberry pies. In almost all cases I ate more of them than just about everyone else. So not good for the arteries or the waistline.

Last night I was watching Fawn's kids with Matt and I asked him to go out and pick berries at J's. I don't think she has any specific deal set up to sell them yet or anything, but I can't stand the idea of them sitting back there, uneaten by anyone but the birds. They could be frozen! Or canned! Or dried! Or something. Anything. So I get back there (or send Matt) when I have the chance.

I felt like some muffins, so I turned to my old standby, allrecipes. I really prefer plain, cakey muffins, but there was a crumb-topped recipe that got four and a half stars based on over 3,000 reviews, so I knew I had to try it.



They're-Actually-Ripe-Now Blueberry Muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup canola oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 cup fresh blueberries

1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.

Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Place oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.

To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.



I actually found that this made twice as much crumb topping as we needed; I refrigerated the other half for a future batch. Reviews said that this recipe is good with all kinds of fruit, and I think it'll be a great one come apple season. (Which is starting already - Bowman had some early apples out this past weekend!)

Not local today: pretty much everything but the blueberries. So worth it, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment