Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Another Gardening Update

I have so much time now with the semester out, I'm not sure what to do with it at times. So I went out and weeded during my son's nap. There really wasn't much to pull, but I did it anyway. I needed something to do while on the phone, and it was too nice out to stay inside.

The lettuce and spinach sprouts are developing real leaves now, although I don't think the carrots are showing yet. (I'm not sure what they'll look like when they start to pop up.) On the other side of the garden, I planted my dandelion seeds. Yes, really. I've finally progressed from "just this side of sane" to "that person you avoid talking to at parties."

I also noticed a light covering of the tiniest sprouts ever. Most of them I can't identify yet because they're too tiny, but taking a closer look at the reddish ones I realized they're probably purslane.

Purslane is apparently a delicacy in Europe. Here in the 'States, it's pretty much just considered a ridiculously hardy weed. I spent all summer trying to eradicate it in last year's garden, then learned what it was when I re-read In Defense of Food and Google-imaged the name. Of course by then it was winter, with no purslane, dead or alive, in sight.

This year I'll let it grow a bit. I'll at least want to find out what it tastes like. If I hate it, well, back to my eradication policy. If I do like it, fantastic. One more thing to forage.

I love getting free food.

No comments:

Post a Comment