Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Fantastic Local Dinner

Tonight's dinner was what it's all about. We had a salad of greens from Kilpatrick, with garlic mustard and violets, which Emma loved.

We also had a couple of chicken breasts, which I cut in to chunks and sautéed with the last of the local mushrooms (about six big ones). I added a few finely-chopped leaves of sage and rosemary, and a good sprinkling of dried thyme. Salt and pepper, of course, and a splash of marsala. It smelled a bit too winey, so when it'd cooked I drained off the liquid and it was delish.

Lastly, we had our take on the Carrot and Parsnip Latkes. I'm going to call them fritters, because I didn't use nearly as much oil as the recipe calls for; it was much more of a sauté than a deep-fry. After all, if you're not making real latkes, why not save the fat for another day? I also didn't have fresh parsley, and I discovered that a pound of parsnips plus two medium carrots equals a LOT of vegetable matter. I'll be cutting this recipe in half the next time I make it. But, if you like parsnips, it was very tasty.



Carrot and Parsnip Fritters

2 medium carrots, scrubbed
1 pound parsnips, scrubbed
1 scallion, minced
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 large eggs
Salt and pepper to taste

Shred carrots and parsnips in food processor; transfer to large bowl and toss with scallions and flour. Add eggs and stir together. Mold into cakes and sauté in skillet or on griddle until browned and cooked through.



Tonight I went to my friend's house with the big garden. It'd been raining, so too muddy to really garden, but I did manage to grab a spaghetti-sauce-jar full of white violets to eat with Emma tomorrow. I'm toying with the idea of inventing a violet salad. It'd be super-pretty for Mother's Day.

Not local today: dried thyme, salt and pepper, canola oil, butter, flour, eggs, marsala

No comments:

Post a Comment