Monday, April 27, 2009

I love searching for recipes.

Call it another good thing about eating local - you tend to have to come up with new ways to eat stuff. When you're making yourself eat more or less in season rather than from habit, you generally get a lot of a few ingredients for several weeks in a row. You don't want to miss the opportunity to eat them, but there are only so many times you can eat the same thing one way.

Take parsnips. The only way I know to eat them is to boil 'em and butter 'em. Delicious, but how many times can you do that? They're inexpensive to begin with, and then the Kilpatrick Farm had seconds of them this week besides, so of course I wound up with some. I love seconds - I hate that they so often go to waste in commercial agriculture, and I'm plenty comfortable with them from being raised around a farm.

I wondered what else you could do with a parsnip. I envisioned some kind of fritter, but more vegetable than breading. Something like a latke made from parsnips.

But to be open-minded, I just googled "parsnip recipes."

And lookie what I found!!! Behold: Carrot and Parsnip Latkes.

Feel free to post a hearty Mazel Tov!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment