Monday, April 27, 2009

Saag Aloo

It's time I finally put up the recipe with alterations for the Saag Aloo I made the other day. As I mentioned, I had to make substitutions in places based on what was in my cabinet; what came out was delicious and, to my palate at least, tasted pretty authentic.

I made a half-batch since I was the only one eating; it could still feed two people, though. The potato was the last Corolla from Sheldon; the spinach was a bag of seconds from Kilpatrick Family Farm. The original recipe, properly scaled, would call for a half-pound rather than a third, but I simply didn't have it. It was still good.



Saag Aloo

1 potato
1 Tablespoon canola oil
¼ teaspoon minced garlic
3 ramps, excluding greens, sliced
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon coriander
Pepper to taste
¼ cup water
1/3 pound spinach

Peel and cut the potatoes and put them in some water. I actually microwaved them in the bowl, 3 minutes, stir, 3 minutes, to shorten cooking time.

Sauté the ramps and garlic in the oil for a few minutes; stir in water, spices, and potato. Cook until potatoes are tender.

Add in spinach and cook until done.

Not local today: all dry spices, oil, minced garlic. Not too bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment