Monday, April 13, 2009

So, About That Paper…

As I mentioned yesterday, the Easter Eats blog was delayed by the fact that I was writing a paper. By a funny coincidence, this module’s paper for my Globalization class was on the topic of local manufacturing and local food, and whether or not these markets could ever be, in my professor’s word, “reconstituted.” In doing the research for that assignment, I came across a number of interesting items.

The first is this frequently-updated list of articles on the topic of local business, hosted by the Business Alliance for Local Living Economies (BALLE). This is a network of organizations across the U.S. and Canada that foster local economies – there are four in New York alone, including one right here in the Capital District. Fellow Schenectadians take note – we have a Buy Local Day coming up on May 3rd!

But my favorite find is a fantastic paper by Debbie Barker, written for the International Forum on Globalization: The Rise and Predictable Fall of Globalized Industrial Agriculture. It gathers a lot of important information in one place, although I do think she might be a bit premature with her title.

Happy reading! And Schenectadians, I’ll see you on Buy Local Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment